CONTINUITY OF CARE IS THE CURE TO THE INDIVIDUAL AND GLOBAL HEALTH CARE CRISIS WE ALL FACE.
The article in the NYT’s Blog post “After Caregiving, Comfort in having helped” tells a common and I believe already well told story. Senior Care, cargiving, dementia Care, Assisted Living and health care in general is difficult, expensive and getting worse every day. AGREED!
by Judith Graham.
Lets move on to the answer!!
- Value people and they will provide many in-kind servcies and levels of compassion and effort you cant buy for dollars.
- Value your doctor, your family, your friends and their extended soical systema and they will value and help you when you and yours needs it.
- this cant be legislated but legislation can adjsut the playing field. We have to act, we the people need to value continuity of care and our doctors. Many do not know that all doctors get paid the same for an office visit. Your doctor who knows you, does extra inkind service gets the same as the guy who you dont know who says call anohter specialist. Second, did you know that specialists get paid much more than your doctor but specialists often say I can’t decide on treatment, accept responsiblity for you as a person, that is your doctors job. Seems unfair to me. paid less as pcp but expected to do socially the right thing. I assure you doctors have feelings too. It is less about the money and more about the value people place or give to their doctor.
- Senior Care settings, Assisted Living, Residential Care homes, hospitals also delegate care. I for one would be suspect of a place that says I want you to come but the people who work here are not my responsiblity.
- Do not criticise the current system. We all have allowed and fueled its growth. The cure is still right here. We need to value each other, people, our extended social systems to fix a problem that affects all today indirectly by affecting someone in our own extended social system right now and us tomorrow after an accident or expeceted medical issue, and 5-10 yrs from now when we age ourselves.
- did you know we all get medicare!! Yep, if you get hurt right now you get medicare disability. There is so much you dont know and I cant do it all in one post. If you invest in me, send comments, I can invest in continuing the discussion.
I am sure that the only way to fix the health care system, make it cost effective while still providing a high level of care is to value continuity of care. Continuity of Care is the Cure. Let me know what you think.